Wednesday, August 27, 2008

New Model




Here's a 3-hour Study of Molly (Ebony pencil on paper, 14" x 24") for a new painting I'm working on. Sorry for the poorly-lit photo of the piece - I just snapped it quickly before I locked the studio for the night. [click for a larger version, as usual]

It's been a long time since I've worked one-on-one with a model, and I'm so glad that it's Molly who I tapped for this project. She's an artist herself, and it makes things so much easier (as I've stated in previous posts about figure models) for me, as she is truly into the idea and understands what I'm striving for with the image. I had wanted to work with her since March, after having worked with her at drawing room, because she fit in perfectly with an idea I had for a figure in a landscape. There's some specific things I won't mention, because I'll give away the idea, but I will say that her skin tone had a lot to do with it. Of course, now that I have (barely) some time to get down to work with her, she's headed for California until the winter. But, she was gracious and cool enough to fit me in, knowing that I was serious and that it would be a good experience for us both.

So far, as you can see, it's been great after the one sitting. I plan on working with her again tonight and hopefully I will get a quick color study out of it. She's leaving over the weekend, so I think this may be it. Nevertheless, if I nail the study, as I feel I did with this drawing, I'll be armed with all the info I need to place her in the landscape. Of course, I'll need to do a composite study of that too. You'll see it all here!

2 comments :

martha miller said...

Wonderful portrait AND figure study of beautiful Molly! Can't wait to see the progress on the painting, Rob!

Rob S. said...

Hey, thanks, Martha!

I completed the color study during one more session with Molly. It's too bad she's going West for so long. It would have helped me to have her back for more when the big painting starts coming along. Then again, the way I plod along on studio pieces, she probably will be back.