Friday, July 23, 2010

Mentor, 2nd semester


So, my new mentor is the painter Emily Eveleth. It just so happened that I was introduced to her during the Group 2 residency during one of the Artist Talks. It was very serendipitous, and was a definite plus to have been able to secure a mentor so early in the game this time around.

Emily is represented by Howard Yezerski in Boston and Danese in NYC. At this very moment, she has a wonderful retrospective of her "doughnut oeuvre" at the Smith College Museum of Art in Northampton, Mass. I think I kind of surprised her by showing up for the opening night, where she gave a fun talk in the main gallery, surrounded by her incredible work. I HIGHLY recommend seeing the work in person, as her paint quality is super-rich. Confronting these sugary giants is quite something to experience; she paints quite large most of the time. Bonus: SCMA has a terrific collection, which really surprised me with a number of gems.

Right now, I have a few concepts in varying stages, all of which I hope to execute on a large (60") scale. Emily is the perfect person with whom to talk about the technical ins-and-outs of working bigger. My first meeting with her is next week and I'm really looking forward to it!

In the meantime, I'll be publishing a Residency 2 summary in just a few days.

No comments :