Monday, March 1, 2010

Not-So-Perfect Storm



Well, I'm not happy.

A big Nor'Easter decided to use NYC as its rotation point, and the tri-state area received a massive dose of snow this past Friday - the day that was to be my travel day. The odd thing was that the weather here in Portland, Maine was Spring-like on Friday. Of course, the night before it "blew a hella gale" and rained hard enough to scare anyone named Noah, but it never got below 40 degrees. New York has just been pummeled with snow this year. We've got nothing.

Anyway, this prevented my meeting with Kurt. And, alas, he cannot make it next weekend, as he will be away. It's getting a little long in the tooth to wait anymore for our first meeting, so I decided that we will USE TECHNOLOGY (say this with the reverb turned up). I'm sending him images and expository writings about my process via e-mail. We will have a phone meeting over this later in the week.

We have scheduled our next (actual, real-time, face-to-face, whatever you want to call it) meeting for March 27th. He invited me to tag along with his students to the Whitney Biennial. Not sure if he's got work in it, but I wouldn't be surprised. Afterward, we'll adjourn to his studio and discuss things as they pertain to me. Plus, I will get to see his setup and no doubt geek out over his stuff. I'm looking forward to that more than you know.

Meantime, here's a little hint of what's to come:


It's Botticelli's "Minerva and the Centaur," 1480(+/-). It's part of the research for one particular piece I'm working on. No more hints until I hear back from my mentor! I mean it now!

No comments :